If you are a big fan of candles or incense, and if you are a dog parent, the bad news: apparently, candles and burning incense can actually be very toxic for your dog.

However, there is no need for throwing away your candles already.

It is important to realize that candles are open flames and your dog, without any knowledge of its consequences, can bump into it. Therefore it is necessary that candles are not placed anywhere near their reach. Just a reminder!

Now that we have reminded you of the obvious reason of candles being dangerous for your dog, here is a reason why candles can actually be chemically toxic for your dog. Many candles are made with chemicals that are synthetic which can produce indoor pollutants that may affect animals.

Dr Marcie Fallek, a holistic veterinarian, said, “Animals are more sensitive in general to poisons, partly due to their size and also to their metabolism. Conventional candles contain many toxins that may pose a risk to your [dog]. These dangerous chemicals are likely or known carcinogens, a neurotoxin, and reproductive toxins. We and our animals inhale these toxins into our lungs, and from there they go directly into the bloodstream.”

Your dog spends most of his time indoors, lays on the floor where toxins fall and probably consumes more chemicals than you may think. Therefore, using less chemically dissolved materials inside your house is safer for your pooch.

Also, there are certain chemicals that you can specifically avoid if you want both candles and the safety of your pooch. Here’s a list prepared by Animal Wellness Magazine:

Paraffin: Most candles are made from this a wax that is petroleum waste. It releases carcinogens when burned.

Lead: Some wicks have a metal core, which can contain lead. When you burn the candle it’s possible the lead released into the air will be above the EPA threshold. Lead harms the central nervous system.

Benzene: This known carcinogen is emitted from the soot of some candles.

Acrolein, acetaldehyde, and formaldehyde: These dangerous chemicals are carcinogens and can reduce air quality. They are linked to irritation in the throat and airways, nosebleeds, and respiratory ailments.

Toluene: This is found in candle soot. It can affect the central nervous system.

And below is a list of the chemicals you can avoid, that are used in air fresheners, prepared by Dr Karen Shaw Becker:

Volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, like acetone, ethanol, pinene, and acetate. When these substances react with the ozone in the air, they generate a range of secondary pollutants like formaldehyde and ultrafine particles. Ultrafine particles have links to heart and lung disease and respiratory problems.

Naphthalene. This chemical is shown to cause inflammation, tissue damage, and cancer in the lungs of rodents.

1,4-Dichlorobenzene (1,4-DCB) has links to compromised lung function and liver cancer in mice.

Also, your home can smell pretty great without using these harmful air fresheners and candles. All you have to do is, let some fresh air in by opening your windows. And if it’s too cold outside, just by an air purifier.

Or, you can start using 100% beeswax candles if you need them to help you relax. They smell great and are good for your entire family!

Now that you know there are a ton of ways you can replace your candles and air fresheners AND keep your dog healthy, do a little research to keep your dog healthier and happier.

SHARE this post with everyone you know!